Tuesday, November 10, 2009

DM Stith - Lingering Traces of an Unfelt Presence

Hey, y'all... sorry it's been a little while since I've posted - life has a funny way of getting busy and eating up spare time.

Anyways - I realized this morning that I'd never posted on DM Stith. This caused some slight embarrassment, if only because (1) a lot of people have never heard of him and (2) he's completely freakin' amazing. I'm going to post three of his music videos for y'all today, all from his album "Heavy Ghost", which came out in March of this year.

[disclaimer, before I begin: I've heard from folks that DM Stith's music is a very bad idea if you're high. I would of course have no firsthand knowledge of this, but it seems reasonable. So. If you're high, be warned.]

DM Stith - Isaac's Song


For those of you who are counting, Isaac's Song is the first track from Heavy Ghost. Simple enough, lyrically - but absolutely haunting and just drop-dead gorgeous. It's probably worth mentioning at this point that DM Stith - DM stands for David Michael, his first and middle names - is a protege of Sufjan Stevens and is signed to his label, Asthmatic Kitty Records.

DM Stith - Pity Dance


Pity Dance is the second track off of Heavy Ghost, and it starts getting into some of the absolute lyrical brilliance that DM Stith features - lines like "I say bring me sunflowers and bring me a landscape of clouds and rain / And let the sky give up her many, heavy hammered warnings"... wow. I'd also like to comment on the music video, which is simultaneously creepy and absolutely wonderful.

DM Stith - BMB


The complete lyrics to this track:

From in your car we saw the fire
and we could feel it on our skin
Slick licorice road, our glassy eyes,
shared in the argument of undefended light
Oh, did you say?
What did you say?
Oh did you say?
What did you say?


Wow.

Hope y'all have a great day (and how could you not, after seeing those music videos?)
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment