Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Brightest Diamond: Music for Rainy Days

So I'm going to have a rain theme in my next couple of posts... just be forewarned.

My Brightest Diamond are labelmates of one of my other favorite artists, DM Stith, and there are definitely some sonic similarities (a good thing), but MBD work generally in a much more familiar soundscape.

I've been struggling to come up with a way to describe this band cohesively; descriptions such as 'acoustic/orchestral blues' and 'delicate constructions of precise emotion' touch on what's going on, but don't really get to the core of the issue.

What I can say is that the band's slightly eclectic (but never rushed) sound hovers in the space between image and thought, between raindrops and earth, between continuity and discreteness. Frontwoman Shara Worden's voice is a haunting presence that inhabits the well-worked soundscapes with careful lyrics and unselfconscious quavers and tremors. The sum is something that verges on the hypnotic.

It should be noted also that these couple of tracks are from My Brightest Diamond's first album, Bring Me The Workhorse, which came out in 2006; they've put out a couple of albums since then, but I don't have the mp3s of those.

My Brightest Diamond - Gone Away


My Brightest Diamond - We Were Sparkling


Have a good day, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment