Friday, August 13, 2010

Thursday

   Ok so today was an interesting day. Despite my attempts to make it a happy day, at first, the day began pretty shitty. So, as I was miserably driving around today a couple bands I'd never heard of graced my ears. Good music always turns my days around.
   Port O'Brien is a folky indie group out of California that has a really great sound. The band has toured with the likes of Nada Surf, Modest Mouse, and more - which surprises me that they haven't become more known. M. Ward, the Him side of he and Zooey Deschanel's She and Him rated Port O'Brien as his favorite new band in 2008. The band's newest album is called Threadbare. go pick it up! (if you aren't immediately in love, keep listening...I think you will be).
Here's the single that caught me onto the band I Woke Up Today

And here's is the band's video for their newest single My Will is Good:


Next we have a band that actually scares me a little bit.
   Ariel Pinks Haunted Graffiti is a freak-folk band from, I think, L.A. and they're quite interesting. I'll admit, usually I'm biased and when I see a long named band I sometimes get leery. Especially when it sounds weird. And APHG is definitely weird...I'm afraid I may dream of carousels tonight, but hey, check this out and give it a chance.
Ariel Pinks Haunted Graffiti - Round and Round

   The other two bands I wanted to write about tonight, I've decided not to; so I'll say this: I heard a live performance the other day called "Matt Morris/Mighty Kate". There was no description other than that, they had pretty great vocals, and an intense, great drummer - it got me interested. So I've been researching and they're two separate bands. Both are good, neither are really completely my taste, but it's nothing I'd flick the channel from. So with that said I say go check out Matt Morris:
and also check out Katy Pffafl, or Mighty Kate:
Mighty Kate's page looks like it could use some traffic, so, uh, get on that, wouldja?

No comments:

Post a Comment