Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Boris Yeltsin? Waves? Maps? Big Update!

    So I've been sitting here for the past hour mentally fighting myself about updating but there's just too much to write about so this has to happen. Side note before I begin, whatever movie is on right now, John Cena just jumped from an exploding helicopter into a pool and started kissing some girl. If he wasn't so ridiculous, I'd say that's my life goal. But onto the music! First is a band I've been listening to for a while and, seriously, I think this is one of the most underrated bands. Does the long winded name Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, or SSLYBY for short, ring a bell? No? Well it should from now on. This band has been rocking for just about a decade out of Missouri and man their music is good.
   The sound is kind of a calm, upbeat, electric acoustic folky mix with some nice picking action through most of the songs. Their 2008 album Pershing is, in my opinion, on of the best albums around to just hangout and waste some time to. The band had a song on The O.C. before that gem of a serious was canceled (seriously, listen to some of the music in The O.C., Josh Schwartz is a genius), but the band has been mildly silent the past few years. Anyway, SSLYBY has a new album coming out on August 27th and I'm pretty stoked for it. Now, I haven't even attempted to get my hands on an mp3 from this album but if you go to the band's MySpace: http://Myspace.com/boris you can download one of the singles. Do that. Anyway, I'll leave you with one of my favorite songs by the band from the 2008 album.SSLYBY has some hilarious videos on the YouTubes also, if you have a moment.
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Boring Fountain

      On a second note, The Narrative, a band this blog loves, dropped their album today. Go pick it up!
http://www.myspace.com/thenarrative 

   Ok onto the next band. Washed Out is the "lyrical/minimalist" name of Ernest Greene who's been creating chillwave music from Georgia and has been gaining some play and popularity lately. Greene's song tend to make my brain totally zone out - and I love it. Check out You and I below:
Washed Out - You and I

   Next, a band I've been unsure about for a while but more sure than unsure about. Maps & Atlases is a great band that has released a couple EPs, but recently released their first full length album. As I was researching the band to do a write up I came across an amazing review by a blog called The Giant Panther. Head over to their website and read this great write up of the band. In the meantime, check out the song Pigeons from Maps and Atlases's Perch Patchwork below. The Giant Panther - Maps & Atlases - Perch Patchwork
Maps and Atlases - Pigeon

   Finally, if returning readers know anything about me, it's that I'm a massive sucker for pop-punk. Well, a friend suggested that I look into a New Jersey band named Catch Me If You Can. Right now, I guess that's a local band for me, and if you know anything else about me, it's that I'm always for the underdog and the little guy. So, that said, let's get into it. Catch Me If You Can has the good ol' All Time Low-ish vibe and some great melodies that spell big-time for these guys in the future. The band has an EP out entitled If You Can't Stand the Heat... Stay Out of the Kitchen on iTunes and a music video as well. Seeing as the band has only been together for two yearsish, I'd say these boys are doing well for themselves. So, take a look at Catch Me If You Can. Here's their video for Baby, If You Were A Melody:

OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO- "Baby, If You Were A Melody" Catch Me If You Can from Inspire Me Pictures on Vimeo.

   Lastly, I know the mp3s on the site are screwed up in recent posts. I'm working on a fix, so stay tuned.
-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment